South Africa is one of the most beautiful destinations in the world! What better place to have an exotic romantic experience than in the heart of the Mother Land. Travel Concepts, the sister company of Wedding Concepts, designs honeymoons and travel experiences across Southern Africa that are as unique as they are unforgettable. We asked Richard Holt, Concepts Collection group CEO and avid traveler to share with us his top six special honeymoon experiences across Southern Africa.
“These days people want many different things from their honeymoon. For us the ultimate honeymoon experiences are created by environments and beautiful places of privacy, solitude and intimacy. We are constantly scouring the continent to find these and have handpicked the following selection because they are guaranteed to do just that and will stay in the couple's memory forever," said Richard.
1. Take a two or three night luxury African river safari down the Chobe River aboard the exclusive Zambezi Queen where you will game view by boat along the shores of the river that divide Namibia’s Caprivi Strip with Botswana’s Chobe National Park. It’s serene, silent and awe inspiring cruising the river, at one with nature and waking up together in your luxury cabin watching elephants swimming by on their way to the far bank.
2. Sleep in the open together, under the stars in the African bush at Singita Pamushana Lodge found within the Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve in south-eastern Zimbabwe. Singita is a brand synonymous with five star service and exclusive safari experiences and we think Pamushana is absolutely their best kept secret. With just six suites and a private villa surrounded by vast wilderness you are guaranteed peace, authenticity and tranquillity, plus being pampered by some of the friendliest staff you will ever meet.
3. A romantic candlelit dinner together on a floating pontoon in the middle of the mighty Zambezi River in Zambia, it’s just the two of you, plenty of candles, the hippos and the sounds of the African bush at night. Stay two nights in the private honeymoon chalet on Sindabezi Island at Tongebezi lodge. Situated on a secluded sandy shore at the end of the island this is the ultimate in privacy. Surrounded by romantically lit traditional hurricane lamps the old fashioned claw foot bath is perfect for two and your own private valet is unobtrusive but on hand to pamper and spoil.
4. Relive Colonial splendor with two nights at Hartford House an exclusive, atmospheric and beautiful small hotel in the heart of the KZN midlands meander. Rich in South Africa’s historic past the manor house is opulent and exclusive. It’s Situated on a sprawling estate housing the Summerhill Stud farm and hundreds of horses, a stay during foaling season is a magical experience. Explore the estate on horseback, relax by the pool or indulge in a spa treatment followed by fine dining in one of South Africa’s most highly acclaimed restaurants, Hartford House is a classy honeymoon stay.
5. A balloon ride over the sand dunes of Namibia is unforgettable for the silence, the solitude and magnitude of the desert below, It’s the ultimate in intimacy and quiet time. Stay three nights at Wolwedans Dune Lodge perched on top of a plateau, overlooking panoramic vistas in all directions and capturing the beauty of the desert in a most memorable way. Wolwedans are also soon to offer a 'sleep out' in the dunes. In a remote and secluded location, raised on a purpose built structure, you would sleep in a luxurious bed with nothing but your duvet between you and the velvety blanket of stars. And wake to one of the most stunning sunrises you will ever see. Does romance get better than this?
6. Prana Lodge beach estate and spa is an Eastern Cape, wild coast luxury retreat that is just perfect for that secluded honeymoon getaway. Despite an easy 40-minute drive from East London airport you are literally in the middle of nowhere amongst 17 acres of private estate and 21km of unspoilt beach. With just seven exclusive suites you are guaranteed privacy. A special welcome is always guaranteed where you are invited to experience ultimate relaxation and restoration for body and soul through highly personalized and unobtrusive service, total privacy, and exceptional cuisine.