Today, we would literally pay money to take naps or stand in long lines to vote in an attempt to bring siestas into the U.S. As adults, we can't find the hours we need to feel rested. Night after night, as we lay our heads down, our thoughts keep us from reaching that desired level of sleep satisfaction. Sleep deprivation goes beyond bags under the eyes, constant yawning, and questionable work outfits, it can actually effect our overall health. One of the most important steps in any cleanse, is sleep. SLEEP!
Planning a wedding can be exciting, but quite stressful. Stress is one of the biggest factors that plays into sleepless nights. First step, leave the guest list and seating chart in another room! After a night of restful slumber, you may find the perfect seat for your aunt who hates everyone!
If only laying in the bed was enough to fall asleep…and stay asleep until the sun peaked across the horizon. Since we don't have on and off switches like robots (anyone remember Small Wonder?), there are routes we can take to try and encourage sleep to find us.
- Melatonin is a hormone that is naturally found in our bodies that can help us fall asleep. The one of the glands in our brain produces serotonin during the day, but is converted to melatonin when the sun goes down. Our bodies actually attempt to put themselves to sleep! For some, take additional melatonin tablets helps them sleep through the night.
- Kava is an anti-anxiety herb that can be found in many teas. Capping the night off with a hot cup of tea is a relaxation technique, but a tea with kava serves double duty!
- As much as possible, avoid consuming sugars and caffeine before your desired bedtime. If you stimulate the body before bed, sleep will not come easy.
- Acupuncture, which can help with a long list of issues, has been said to increase melatonin in the body at night. The needles might seem scary at first, but if you start sleeping through the night, you may ask for more!
- Exercise! Regular exercise helps the body alleviate stress and promotes deep sleep. However, working out too close to bedtime can actually increase your adrenaline levels…keeping you up.
No amount of money can buy a good nights sleep, so do your part naturally to ensure you are not walking around with duffle bags under your eyes.
Are you sleepy reading this article right now? How many hours of sleep do you typically get every night?
What sleep remedies have you tried? What works for you?